Request a Transcript

The college has partnered with Parchment to manage the ordering, processing, and secure delivery of your official student transcripts.

Parchment Offers

  • Online transcript tracking and email notifications
  • Electronic and paper transcript options
  • Official transcripts

Payment and Fees

All transcript orders require a major credit or debit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express) to complete the transaction.

  • Transcript fee is $6.00
  • Additional expedited delivery options and fees are listed on the Parchment website during the ordering process.

Processing Time

Standard orders are processed within three business days from receipt of the order, except orders placed on weekends, holidays and peak times during the semester. Delivery time is not included in processing time and varies by delivery service and local area.

Success Tips

  • Clear any financial holds at the college before starting your order
  • If you do not know your Student ID number please call Enrollment Services at 540-868-7110. Transcripts requested without a student ID, or with an incorrect student ID, may be delayed for up to one week. Please check all information entered for accuracy.  
  • Students who have officially changed their name, please provide the name used while enrolled at the college. 
  • Before requesting your transcript, you must check your records to make sure your grades and/or graduation credentials have posted, if applicable. Transcript requests cannot be held for the posting of grades, certificates, or degree awards. If a grade or degree has not been posted before you request your transcript, you will need to request and pay for another official transcript.
  • All paper hard copy transcripts issued are official and in a sealed envelope. Do not open your transcript if you plan to send the transcript to a college or organization. An opened transcript is considered unofficial by most colleges and organizations.
  • Please check to make sure you need an official transcript before requesting one. Sometimes an unofficial transcript will suffice. View and print your unofficial transcript via MyLaurelRidge.
    • Log into MyLaurelRidge
    • Click SIS
    • Click My Student Information
    • Click Academic Records
    • Click View Unofficial Transcript
    • Follow the instructions to view/print unofficial transcript

Continuing Education transcripts should be requested through your campus Workforce Solutions Office.

Print Unofficial Transcripts

  • Login to MYLaurel Ridge
  • Click on SIS – Student Information System
  • Click on My Student Information
  • From the Student Center- Click on the Other Academic
  • Choose Transcript: View Unofficial and click the
  • Report Type – Unofficial Transcript and click view Report