We strive to provide the highest quality technology-based services in the most cost-effective manner to advance the college’s mission. The Technology Services staff is dedicated to learning and discovery, and providing the necessary tools and infrastructure to support students, faculty and staff, and other members of the campus community. Support services include but are not limited to:
- Employee Microsoft 365 email account and password
- Desktop and laptop computer support, including installing and troubleshooting applications
- Network drive and shared drive access
- Employee Intranet
- Classroom technology including: projectors, TVs, computers, cameras, microphones, speakers, printers
- Zoom features for virtual meetings
- Annual employee online security training
- Office printers, scanners, fax machines, and WEPA print kiosk
- Campus networking, internet access, Wi-Fi
- Cisco VoIP phones including voicemail, call routing, mailbox options
Canvas is the Learning Management System utilized at the college and other Virginia community colleges. Canvas is web-based and compatible with Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
Google Chrome is the preferred web browser with Canvas. You’ll have the best experience navigating course content and other online learning tools using Chrome.
Below are some additional Canvas resources to get you started using and becoming familiar with Canvas.
- Tutorial Course – Get started with Canvas by completing this optional, self-paced tutorial course.
- Mobile App – Download the Canvas mobile app to stay up-to-date and connected to your courses.
- Help Guides – Browse hundreds of help guides that address your frequently asked questions.
- Contact Support – Get 24/7 access to Canvas support via phone or online chat.
To log into Canvas, use your MyLaurelRidge username and password. If you’ve never logged into the MyLaurelRidge Portal before, take a look at the help guide to your Reset MyLaurelRidge Password.
Online courses do not require in-person meetings. Course content and activities will be found on Canvas, the VCCS learning management system.
Online courses require at least as much time as the same course offered on campus. You should plan to study at least 2-3 hours a week for each credit. In other words, for each three-credit course, you would study 6-9 hours per week.
If you are considering online learning, please complete the short assessment below on being an online student.
eLearnReady Online Self-Assessment
For more information on online learning, visit: Laurel Ridge Online.
MyLaurelRidge Account Support
By signing into the MyLaurelRidge portal, students and employees have access to Canvas, the Student Information System (SIS), Gmail, Google Drive, Zoom, Navigate, Library Services, Brainfuse for virtual tutoring, the student evaluation system (Vision), and more.
For account or password issues while logging into the MyLaurelRidge portal, visit MyLaurelRidge Support.
For multi-factor authentication (MFA) options, set-up guides, and videos, see laurelridge.edu/mfastudent. For Dual Enrollment students, see laurelridge.edu/mfadual for equivalent MFA resources.
For assistance with setting up or troubleshooting MFA, please email [email protected]. If you are unable to access your MyLaurelRidge account, please contact the Enrollment Services Office at 540-868-7110 and they can assist you with your account and password recovery issues.
Google for Education
Every student in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) automatically receives a Google for Education account with the full suite of products like Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, and more.
Review the resources below for more information on how to use the tools and services as a part of your Google for Education account.
Google for Education (MyLaurelRidge credentials required for access)
Use Zoom to participate in online, real-time, interactive class meetings, and faculty office hours. In Zoom, you can share your computer screen, participate in poll questions, type messages in the chat, and participate in smaller group discussions with breakout rooms.
Join a test Zoom meeting to test your internet connection, microphone/speakers, video, and familiarize yourself with the Zoom meeting controls.
Review the resources below for more information on how to use Zoom, learn about the features, and get support.
Zoom (MyLaurelRidge credentials required for access)
Computer and Network Use
All students are expected to know and comply with Laurel Ridge’s and the VCCS’s Computer Use and Informational Technology Acceptable Use Agreement policy.
The Technology Services team is here to help, and can be reached by the following methods:
Submit an IT help request at https://laurelridge.edu/helpdesk.
Campus Technology Support
For more urgent issues, please contact us by phone:
- Middletown & Luray locations: call 540-868-7223 or #387223 from any campus Cisco VoIP phone.
- Fauquier & Vint Hill locations: call 540-351-1545 or #381545 from any campus Cisco VoIP phone.
Information Technology Services Staff
Instructional Technology Support
For questions or assistance with Canvas or other instructional technology, contact the Instructional Technology Office (ITO) by submitting an ITO Help Request at laurelridge.edu/itohelp or by calling 540-868-7185.