Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid (unless you withdraw, fail, or receive an R and/or U grade in your classes). Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or higher degree. You must be enrolled in an eligible program of study and not be in default on any federal student aid program. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.How much can I get?The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2017-18 award year (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018) is $5,920. The maximum amount can change each award year and depends on program funding. The amount you get, though, will depend not only on your financial need, but also on your costs to attend school, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.If I am eligible, how will I get the Pell Grant money? Laurel Ridge CC will apply Pell Grant funds to your school costs, pay you directly (usually by check), or combine these methods. We will tell you via e-mail how much your award will be and how and when you’ll be paid.

The information provided through your College e-mail to your student e-mail account for the fall and spring semesters is a projection based upon the student enrolling full-time (at least 12 credit hours) for that term.

If you are not enrolled in at least 12 credits, to view your pending award amount based on your actual enrollment:

  1. Click on VCCS SIS: Student Information System
  2. Click on Student Center
  3. Click on Account Inquiry
  4. Click on Pending Aid
  5. Click box that says “CLICK HERE” to see Pending Financial Aid Based on Actual Enrollment’

Most financial aid programs require students to be enrolled for a minimum of six credits. You may want to review your Financial Aid Award Notification e-mail for more information or review the requirements for your awards on the Types of Financial Aid page.