Virginia Space Grant Consortium
The College under the leadership of Dr. Melissa Stange has been awarded an Innovative Project Grant UAS grant from the Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) to bring unmanned aircraft systems to students and community.
The College will be hosting a Females Take Flight program to include webinars on Females in STEM and UAS, summer camps for K-12 females for high school girls, 10 grants for female college students to take a drone class (UMS107) during the Fall 2022 semester to prepare to take their Part 107 exam, and an engaging UAS community fair this summer.
The College is excited to have the support of VSGC to bring our UAS program to the College’s service region, along with in several other drone activities. Through Dr. Stange’s participation in the GeoTEd-UAS Institute, she will spend a week in May at Virginia Tech learning more about drones and how to expand the program at the College.
Drone Related Links
- FAA DroneZone – Register your drone
- The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) – All recreational flyers must pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of test passage (the TRUST completion certificate) to the FAA or law enforcement upon request
- AUVSI – Association for Uncrewed Vehicle Systems International
- Virginia Innovation Partnership Corporation – is a source for information, grants, partnerships, and seed funding for UxS in the Commonwealth
- Virginia Drone Laws – General rules for flying drones in Virginia
- VABA – Virginia Aviation Business Association
- Unmanned Systems Association of Virginia
- AOPA – Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Commercial Drone Alliance – Shaping the future of the commercial drone industry
- World Drone Association
- Global Drone Pilots Association
- International Drone Operators Association