Diversity Equity and Inclusion Council

As a college, we are committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and recognize our work is far from finished. We continue striving to create a safe and inclusive space for all Laurel Ridge students and staff!

Student Spotlight

Sky Goyang

Sky Goyang moved in with a friend in Virginia after losing her jobs during the pandemic. With help from Laurel Ridge, she is on her way to a promising career in cybersecurity.

Read Story
Student Spotlight

Candace Davenport

1985 Laurel Ridge graduate Candace Davenport is First Bank’s new IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Engagement and Action) Officer.

Read Story
Student Spotlight

Jeff Savoie

With the help of the TRIO program, Jeff Savoie thrived in his recreation and outdoor leadership program.

Read Story

Laurel Ridge 2021 Student Survey Results

93 % of students said Laurel Ridge made them feel as if they belonged at the college.

Very Good/Good

  • 91 % Veterans services
  • 92 %  Disability services 
  • 94 %  Welcoming and supporting climate of diversity and inclusion
  • 94 %  Promoting diversity in the student body

Very Satisfied/Satisfied

  • 96 %  Inclusivity of POC on campus
  • 95 %  Inclusivity of disabilities on campus 
  • 96 %  Inclusivity of gender/gender identity


The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council (DEI) works to assist with development of the One Virginia Plan to reflect our framework of inclusive excellence; provides support and acts as a working group for the Equity and Unity Ad Hoc Committee; analyzes available survey data and identifies potential activities to address data-identified needs; educates the college on the importance of diversity on academic success; provides regular communication to the college community on council initiatives and progress; provides support and advocates for Institutional Diversity Goals (below); as applicable, prepares the Laurel Ridge Diversity Report for the president’s signature per system office guidelines and deadlines; and serves as an advisory body to ex officio members, President and CHRO, on matters of Diversity and Inclusion.


Faculty Fellows –  Students vary in their learning preferences, cultural and social experiences, and cognitive abilities, creating significant barriers to academic success. Most instructors have likely tried dozens of assessments and found that different approaches work for different needs, student populations, and goals. The Universal Design for Learning (UDL) approach can be used to enhance assessments in a way that reaches the broadest possible audience.

Laurel Ridge Community College  Faculty Fellows implemented UDL in a variety of class assessments.

Classified Staff – started an ad-hoc Equity and Inclusion subcommittee in January 2022. CSC (Classified Staff Council) has historically been run by and attended almost entirely by salaried front-office staff, which is about 40 percent of the entire body of classified staff. The initial charge of the subcommittee is to engage the remaining 60 percent of classified staff, consisting of part-time, clinical wage, buildings and grounds, and police staff to ensure CSC is serving their needs, and try to create feedback systems as a proxy for meeting attendance, since meetings are not as easy to attend for these groups.

Guide of Minority-owned Businesses: A guide created by the DEI Council that lists minority businesses found in the Laurel Ridge Community College service region, including Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah and Warren Counties, and the City of Winchester. Our list includes businesses owned by women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), first-generation immigrants, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and veterans


A&P Council

  • Kerry Kilpatrick (Chair) – 2021-23
  • Anne Davis – 2021-23

Classified Staff

  • Christopher Lambert – 2022-24
  • Jelise Ballon – 2022-24
  • Andy Gyurisin – 2021-23
  • Angela Schroeder – 2022-24
  • Kayla Buckles (Chair-elect) – 2022-24
  • Sarah Murphy – 2022-24


  • Cristy Stefnoski – 2022-24
  • Vacant – 2022-24
  • Curtis Morgan (Scribe) – 2021-23
  • Jan McLaughlin – 2022-24
  • Ebrahim Adburahiman – 2021-23
  • Angela Bee – 2021-23


  • Selene Medjahed-Schwethelm – 2022-23
  • Christopher Hannah – 2022-23

HR Director

  • JoAnn Ellwood – Ex officio


  • Kim Blosser – Ex officio


The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council meets every fourth Friday of the month 9 – 10 a.m. via Zoom. Meeting information is sent out prior to meetings to students, staff, and faculty.

**DEI does not meet in the summer

Inquiry Form

"*" indicates required fields

How would you like to share your interest?*