Starting January 2022, SCHEV is pleased to announce a brand new process that will enhance college affordability for even more students who call Virginia home.
For the first time, Virginia students who are ineligible to complete the federal FAFSA form, including undocumented students and those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, now have a way to access state financial aid, thanks to revisions to the Tuition Equity provision and the creation of the Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA) Application.
This new state financial aid application is a free and safe way for students to pursue financial assistance for postsecondary education.
State Aid Programs Considered with VASA
The VASA application is designed to calculate students’ Expected Family Contribution (EFC) which is then used to determine eligibility for state need-based financial aid programs:
Information Needed to File a VASA App
- Student and Parent/Spouse email address (must be different)
- Date of birth, phone number, address and other demographic information
- Prior-prior year tax return and other income information
- Bank statements, records of untaxed income, and/or records of investments
- Students can elect to send the information to up to 10 Virginia institutions
Want to see the application before starting? Watch the recorded demo here.
Steps to Apply
- Complete the in-state tuition application and qualify through domicile, military dependent exception, or tuition equity provision.
- This is handled by Enrollment Services, please contact them with any questions or concerns. The Financial Aid Office cannot answer questions related to domicile.
- Complete the VASA Application and meet the requirements for the specific financial aid program.
- Go to www.VASAapp.org
- Click File a VASA Application
- Sign in/Sign up in the portal
- Allow 7-10 business days for processing, then check your Message Center for an update regarding the status.
- You can view your Message Center by logging into MyLaurelRidge >> SIS >> Student Center >> Message Center.
Please Note: You can see your completed application(PDF) in your VASA app account under Documents. You can make updates/corrections to your application after submission, if needed.