The Laurel Ridge Community College Health Information Management Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education.
The health information management degree is designed to provide training in the management of systems to collect, interpret and analyze patient data and to communicate information related to the research, planning, provision and evaluation of every day operations in health care services. Additionally, students gain skills to manage positions related to the functions. This program is beneficial to individuals who are seeking career advancement and eligibility for the national certifying examination — Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT). Occupational objectives upon completion of this program include: Health Information (Medical Records) Assistant/Technician, Medical Coder, Coding Manager/Supervisor, Health Information Supervisor/Office Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist, Privacy Officer, Health Data Analyst. The Health Information Management (HIM) associate degree is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
In Demand G3 Program - $$ for Tuition and Fees
The Health Information Management accreditor of Laurel Ridge Community College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for the Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2027-2028. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at [email protected].
Explore Careers and Job Outlook
- Student Satisfaction rate for August 2019 through July 2020 – 100% of respondents to the HIM Graduate Evaluation Survey were satisfied with the content and delivery of the HIM program at Laurel Ridge.
- National Certification Data: 100% pass rate for Laurel Ridge HIM graduates taking the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam between August 2019 and July 2020.
- Student Retention rate – 75% of HIM students taking HIM courses in Fall 2018 were on track for graduation at the end of Spring or Summer, 2020.
- 75% of graduates were employed in the health information or related healthcare field within one year of graduation for the 08/01/19 – 07/31/20 reporting period.
The two-year curriculum in Health Information Management includes instruction in administrative management, medical coding, medical administrative technology, and general education. Students are advised to check with an advisor in planning their programs and selecting electives. Upon satisfactory completion of the program, the graduate will be awarded the Associate of Applied Science Degree with a major in Health Information Management.
The associate degree may be completed in four semesters if the following conditions are met:
- Placement tests indicating readiness to enroll in ENG 111.
- Students without computer or keyboarding skill (below 25 words per minute) must complete the prerequisite course AST 101 or below 45 wpm) AST 102 prior to enrolling in ITE 115.
- Students are willing to enroll in day and evening classes
- Note: BIO 141/142 Human Anatomy and Physiology I/II may be substituted for BIO 145.
Academic Plan, Course List, and Program Information
Have a Question?
Do you have a specific question about this program or how to get started at Laurel Ridge? Please use the form below and a member of our staff will respond as soon as possible.
Laurel Ridge subscribes to EMSI and provides this link for general career information. Emsi’s products and services use data, reports, and forecasts which are generated using government data sources and proprietary analytical processes.