What do I want to do when I grow up (no matter what age I am)?
Career information for planning & goal setting guidance
- O*NET database, Information on hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. Information from this database forms O*NET Online, an interactive application for exploring and searching occupations. The database also provides tools for workers and students looking to find or change careers.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Research current information on career fields.
- Academic Invest Figure out not only what you can do with your degree, but explore hundreds of career options, search for current jobs in your chosen career field, and even find scholarships related to your major.
- Virginia job outlook, average salaries and career information
- Research in-demand careers
- Research types of Green Careers
- Salary Calculator
- https://www.collegedegreesonline.com/highest-paid-careers – “The Top 10 Highest Paid Careers”
- Registered Nursing Careers in nursing
- Social Work Career Center – Outlines 14 different careers in social work
- Social Work Job Guide – Explains what you need for entry-level social work positions & how to prepare for a social work career
- https://www.educationdegree.com/teaching-careers Teaching career information
- https://www.counselingdegreesonline.org/careers-in-counseling Counseling career information
- University HQ – Explore career options to find your career path
Who am I? What do I want? Where am I going? Where do I start?
Like any major decision, selecting a career involves a lot of fact finding. Take time to understand yourself and your personality. In addition, consider: Talking with people you know, holding informational interviews with employers, and research professional societies, trade groups and labor unions. Use the library. Meet with an Laurel Ridge career services advisor. To make an appointment, please call the Advising Office at (540)868-7110.
You should assess career guidance materials carefully.
- Personality test based on Myers-Briggs typology
- Jungian Cognitive Functions and Personality Dichotomies– free personality type test
- Personality testing based on Holland Codes
- Virginia Education Wizard Complete the interest, values and skills assessments.
- Career Exploration tools: For students and job seekers to assess yourself, create career goals, explore education and training needs, gain skills, make a job search plan, and manage your career
- Color Quiz is a free personality test based on research by color psychologists
- Virginia Employment Commission and Virginia Workforce Connections