Prepare for a future Healthcare by enrolling in the VALLEY HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY!
A Hands-on Learning Experience!
- Week-Long Summer Program
- Available to rising 10th – 12th grade high school students from the counties of Clarke, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Warren; and the City of Winchester.
- Designed to strengthen interest in and increase awareness of healthcare fields.
Students are given the opportunity to:
- Learn skills of a pharmacy technician
- Explore cadaver and dental labs
- Give injections to training muscles
- Start intravenous fluids in training arms
- Test blood glucose
- Learn proper hand-washing techniques
- Shadow multiple specialists at Valley Health
- Spend time with nurses, doctors and therapists
- Observe surgeries
- Help both occupational and physical therapists
- Complete chart documentation with nurses
- Learn about anesthesiology, emergency room care and pediatric oncology
- Learn how to check pulses during a phlebotomy class
- Learn about the college’s paramedic program, the functions of a cardiac defibrillator and use a medical mannequin, during an academy session
Students interested in next year’s Valley Health Sciences Academy must see their high school guidance counselor or career coach for information and an application.
Students selected to participate in the academy must satisfy Laurel Ridge Community College admissions requirements. Students will apply for admission to the college and take the student development course SDV 101: Introduction to the Health Professions for college credit.