Community / Environmental Scanning
United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley Community Needs Update: 2014-2017
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The college provides the following policy for all individuals and organizations who desire to conduct academic studies and/or research projects and use the college and/or the Educational Foundation as subjects.
This policy does not apply to the following:
- Faculty or staff members who conduct research projects as part of their assigned work in their classroom as a curricular activity;
- Students who conduct classroom-based research projects as part of their curriculum requirements within the confines of that specific classroom assignment and without involving parties outside the classroom; and
- Employees engaged in official administrative activity for work-related assessment, surveys, and other types of research projects initiated by the college.
The following is a checklist of requirements for research projects, based on the policy:
- Submit a written, official request about your proposed research with as much detail as possible.
- For graduate work, including dissertations, theses, and course projects, you need IRB approval or exemption from your graduate institution first.
- For dissertations or theses, you need to have committee approval of your defended proposal first. For class projects, you will need faculty approval of your proposed project.
- Provide the interview protocol, survey, or list of data you want to use.
- How you will ensure privacy and confidentiality of the data, including any personally identifiable information?
- How will any personally identifiable data be stored securely?
- Are there potential harms or benefits to participants, which might require medical authorization?
- How will the results be reported in terms of respondents and institutional identification?
- If you want to email students, faculty, and/or staff, how do you expect this to happen? Do you want Laurel Ridge to send out an email request? Do you want a list of emails? Do you plan to do follow-up of non-respondents?
- In planning your research, please ensure adequate time for Laurel Ridge to review your request and for you to address all requirements. This checklist is not exhaustive and other considerations may need to be addressed, based on the nature of your proposed research.
Fall Current Student Survey Report – 2017 2018 2019 2020
Graduating Student Survey Report – 2014-15 2015-16 2016-17 2019-20
Faculty/Staff Survey Report – 2011 2017 2020