Effective communication is critical to the proper handling of emergency situations. The Emergency Response Team (ERT) has established the following systems in order to communicate quickly and effectively with the staff, faculty, and students during an emergency:
- Emergency Response Coordinators & Team (ERC/ERT)
- Plasma Screens (Visual/Sound Warnings)
- Laurel Ridge ALERT(text messages: e-mail, cell phones, pagers)
- Public Address System/Mega Phone
- Contact Trees
- Classroom Guides for Emergency Routes/Safe Haven
- Threat level Reference Guides (Procedures)
- ADA Compliant Devices (Flashing Lights)
Emergency Action Instructions
- Crisis Communication Plan
- Continuity of Operations Plan
- Guide for Emergency Action Response
In the event of an actual emergency, the ERT will work closely with the Crisis Communication Team to deliver information internally and externally in a quick and professional manner.
Key members of the Financial and Administrative Services Team, Emergency Response Coordinators, Cabinet and Police will serve as members of the Emergency Response Team (ERT). They are first responders for ALL campus emergencies, including safety, security, technology and facilities.
- Assess the emergency
- Contact appropriate authorities
- Contact appropriate Laurel Ridge Administration through Chain of Command
- Proceed to emergency location
- Provide basic emergency response direction
- Implement Crisis Communication Plan
- Stay at location until emergency completely resolved
Emergency Response Coordinators
An Emergency Response Coordinator is a key member of the college who will assist college administrators, Campus Police and security officers and the Emergency Response Team in the event of an emergency. The role of an ERC is to assist in emergency situations, evacuations, crowd control and other safety related situations at Laurel Ridge Community College.