Dual Enrollment Grades


Report cards are not distributed. 

Instructors post their course grades to the Student Information System (SIS). For courses taught on campus, the college will forward dual-enrollment course grades to the appropriate high school guidance department.

Viewing Grades in SIS

  1. Log-in to MYLaurel Ridge
  2. Click on “VCCS SIS: Student Information System.”
  3. Select “Self Service.”
    1. The “Self Service” screen will enable you to check your grades
    2. Click the heading “Student Center”
    3. Click on the drop-down menu and select “Grades.”
    4. Select the term, click “Continue.”
    5.  In order to see a different term, click the green “change term” button.


  • Students will receive a terminal (final) course grade each semester for the course work taken during the semester (i.e., ENG 111 for first semester; ENG 112 for second semester). Grades are not averaged to give a year grade. College courses are based upon semesters.
  • Students should do the very best work possible in their college courses. In order for courses to transfer to four-year schools, a grade of C or higher is required.
  • A student may choose to fill out a FERPA release form during admission to allow anyone they designate to receive certain information about their college experience, including grades.  


  • The grading policy varies with the location of the course.
    • Courses taught in the high school:  School divisions determine the grading scale for all courses taught in their high schools. The grading scale is documented in each instructor’s course syllabus.
    • Courses taught at Laurel Ridge:  Instructors determine the grading scale for the course they teach on campus. The grading scale is documented in each instructor’s course syllabus.
    • Students should consult with their instructor, seek a tutor or consider withdrawing from the course if they experience difficulty with coursework.
    • Each semester hour of credit given for a course is based upon one academic hour (50 minutes) per week of formalized, structured instructional time in a particular course, for 15 weeks (or equivalent)
    • The grades of A, B, C and D are passing grades. The grade of F is a failing grade.
    • The quality of performance in any academic course is reported by a letter grade, the assignment of which is the responsibility of the instructor. These grades denote the character of study and are assigned quality points as follows:
      • A-Excellent – 4 grade points per credit
      • B-Good – 3 grade points per credit
      • C-Average – 2 grade points per credit
      • D-Poor – 1 grade point per credit
      • F-Failure – 0 grade point per credit
      • Laurel Ridge does not have a standardized numerical grading scale. Students and parents need to be aware that professors establish their own numerical grading scale that is outlined in the course syllabus.


A student wishing to drop a course must complete the drop electronically through the Student Information System (SIS) or the Admissions and Records Office by the published last date to qualify for a course refund. This transaction removes the student from the class roll and no grade is assigned.

Later in the semester, you may withdraw without a grade penalty. Withdrawals cannot be completed on MyLaurelRidge and require the submission of a withdrawal form signed by your faculty member or an advisor. A withdrawal results in a “W” on your transcript and you will not be refunded for the class. Students receiving financial aid must consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing to discuss what, if any, impact a withdrawal will have on their aid.


  • The grade appeal policy varies with the location of the course.
  • Courses taught in the high school: The policies and procedures of the school division apply, and the student should speak with the instructor.
  • Courses taught at Laurel Ridge: If the student does not agree with the grade given by the instructor, the student has the right to initiate the grade appeal process as outlined in the current school year College Catalog and Student Handbook.


  • Dual-enrollment students may earn college credit by successfully passing the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams; however, these exams will not count toward high school graduation in a Commonwealth of Virginia high school. Home-schooled students and their parents must determine if CLEP credit applies toward high school graduation.
  • Many colleges do not accept CLEP. Before attempting a CLEP test, students should contact the college to determine course equivalencies and acceptance policies.


The honors policy is as follows:

  • The Laurel Ridge Community College Honors Program is designed to challenge and reward students who are intellectually motivated and academically able through opportunities for in-depth study and interaction with like-minded students.
  • A student may obtain honors credit by earning credit in an honors section, by fulfilling the honors component in a regular course as specified by the course professor, or by completing a special one-credit honors seminar.
  • A grade of A or B is required in a course or seminar in order to earn honors credit.
  • Faculty recommendation or approval is required for enrollment in an honors seminar.


  • In accordance with the policies of Laurel Ridge, a dual-enrolled student might be able to receive an incomplete grade if there are verifiable unavoidable reasons that a student is unable to complete a course within the normal timeline.
  • The faculty member has the discretion to decide whether the “I” grade will be awarded.
  • Students and parent(s) must understand that an incomplete grade may jeopardize or delay graduation from high school.
  • Failure to complete coursework during the prescribed time limit will result in an F for the course.
  • Students and parents should contact their high school guidance counselor before requesting an incomplete in any course