2018 Laurel Ridge grad returns to the college to host art exhibition

art exhibition

2018 Laurel Ridge graduate Kristin Fiorvanti is returning to the college this month with her own art exhibition, titled “K. Fiorvanti: Learning Things the Art Way.” She will be exhibiting Primavera Potpourri:  Fiorvanti’s Diverse Art Series Compiled from her Studies in Florence, Italy.

The opening reception, Friday, Oct. 11, 4-7 p.m. in the Sekel Art Atrium in Cornerstone Hall on the Middletown Campus, will feature live drawing and painting at 4:30 p.m. The exhibit is open through Nov. 8.

Fiorvanti returned from Europe this summer after spending seven months studying at Academia Riaci in Florence, Italy. Her artistic talent earned her free tuition for the master class.

The general studies graduate had seen the poster for Academia Riaci’s International Arts & Design Competition hung in Cornerstone Hall by her art professor, Marion Mercer, and seized the opportunity to apply.

At Academia Riaci, Fiorvanti, who graduated from Washington High School in Charles Town, W.Va., but attended Skyline High School in Warren County for two years, would spend three or four days a week at the school and then go on art visits to gardens and towns on Fridays and sometimes Saturdays to sketch and paint.

“I’m still developing my own style,” Fiorvanti says. “My artwork from Italy shows that I’m really diverse in my media. I feel like I have a lot on my palette, but what to pick and choose to use is still developing.”

Being in Italy unlocked more of her artistic potential.

“I felt like I could really step out and do something crazy and free, and just let go and try new things,” Fiorvanti says.

The Laurel Ridge exhibit will include pieces she showed during her own exhibit in Italy, along with personal additions from her sketchbook, a few master studies and her oil painting, “Heritage.” Many of Fiorvanti’s original pieces will be for sale.

Pictured: The artist with some of her work and former Laurel Ridge art professor, Ann Currie. Fiorvanti received some funding from the Ann R. Currie Art Scholarship.